Tuesday, November 22, 2011

america, wake up!

this occupy wall street movement is getting a little out of hand, if you ask me. now we have a new movement joining in called "occupy student debt." they are encouraging those of us with student loans to collectively default on our loans, to "highlight the necessity of federally funded institutions of higher education, interest-free student loans and a requirement that for-profit and private universities reveal their internal finances -- not to mention the abolishment of all current student debt."


if you ask me, this isn't a great idea. they even say it right there in the article, defaulting on loans is a felony that will haunt you in your future. not to mention- how is defaulting on your loans going to change anything? higher education is not a right, it's a privilege. 

my pov? wake up, america! you willingly took on student loans to further your opportunities in life. live up to your potential, be honest and hard-working citizens and pay for the education you received and the debt you took on. nothing in life comes for free.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/21/occupy-student-debt-campaign_n_1106379.html?ref=tw

1 comment:

  1. I agree that defaulting on student loans is a bad idea, but I disagree that "higher is not a right, it's a privilege." Of whom? Those privileged enough to afford it? I feel like sentiments like those fuel the fire of some of the more legitimate Occupy Wall Street gripes (of which there are only a few).

    I think this, much like the Occupy Wall Street movement, doesn't seek to actually abolish student loan debt (as this is not really feasible) but to increase awareness of the increasing burden placed on the backs of graduating students, which is only exacerbated by the current economic environment. It gives the country with the most expensive higher education system something to ponder.

    Great post! I like it when you mix it up.

    ReplyDelete